Biochemist - NIH - Rockville, MD
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with one of the most prestigious research organizations in the world. We are currently seeking a Biochemist to work onsite with the National Institutes of Health in Rockville, MD.
This is a long-term contract position which offers:
- Competitive salary with comprehensive benefit package
- Opportunity to work at NIH, the world's foremost medical research center
- Learn more about what Kelly can do for you at www.kellygovernmentsolutions.com
TASKS. The contractor shall:
- Develop analytical protein purification methods for analysis of bulk material of malaria antigens under consideration as vaccine candidates.
- Perform a wide variety of complex procedures and techniques, such as high-throughput expression of proteins in mammalian cell culture, yeast, baculovirus and bacterial cells; expression plasmid cloning and preparation; recombinant protein analysis/chemistry; buffer preparation; SDS-PAGE; western blotting; ELISA; thermal shift assays; and affinity chromatography.
- Undertake all aspects of method development as well as testing of samples by SEC/LSFPLC and IEC-FPLC.
- Maintain accurate daily records of experiments and results in pen in bound laboratory notebooks, making minor modifications or adaption’s to established methods, procedures and/or techniques to solve problems in the work.
- Calibrate and operate a variety of laboratory instruments used to perform tests and analyses.
- Interpret, evaluate and discuss the result of each experiment as part of the planning process.
- Prepare various media, stock supplies and other reagents for use in the laboratory.
- Responsible for quality control of the laboratory including upkeep and routine maintenance of equipment.
- Order and maintain laboratory supplies and equipment including chemicals, biological materials, liquid nitrogen; handle biological materials, infectious agents, biological wastes, etc.
- Follow existing SOPs lab protocols and assist in implementation of new procedures.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, maintain lab antigen inventory, and order lab supplies as needed.
- Perform computer analysis of data and use computer and computer software to prepare data for publication.
- Maintain crystallography plate supplies using automated liquid handling robots, perform automated crystallization screening, analyze crystal screens to identify growth conditions, reporting results and data storage.
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must have:
- Minimum of four (4) years of related experience.
- Master’s degree in a science related field or six (6) years of specialized experience plus a Bachelor’s degree is equivalent to a MSc.
- Background in biology, chemistry, and/or biophysics.
- Relevant laboratory experience in automation and instrumentation.
- Good documentation and communication skills.
- Basic computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. More advance experience e.g. familiarity with PowerPoint and other graphics programs, or Millennium or Empowered by Waters, Inc.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE.
Note that the phone number for our NIH branch is not listed. Due to the high volume of inquiries, we regret that we cannot accept phone calls. All qualified candidates will be contacted.
Looking to connect with premier government agencies or the top 25 federal government contractors? Kelly® Government offers a variety of full-time, project (SOW), seasonal, and surge support opportunities in science, engineering, technical, professional, and administrative support roles. Our experts will find you the opportunity that fits your schedule and interests and handle the details of transferring and processing all levels of security clearances. It’s just another way we make the job search work for you.
Kelly connects talented people to companies in need of their skills in areas including Science, Engineering, Education, Office, Contact Center, Light Industrial, and more. We’re always thinking about what’s next in the evolving world of work, and we help people ditch the script on old ways of thinking and embrace the value of all workstyles in the workplace. We directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world, and we connect thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners in our outsourcing and consulting practice.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.