Bioinformatics Scientist - NIH - RTP, NC
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with one of the most prestigious research organizations in the world. We are currently seeking a Bioinformatics Scientist to work onsite with the National Institutes of Health in Research Triangle Park, NC.
OVERVIEW. This is a long-term, open-ended contract position which offers:
- Competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package.
- Tremendous room for personal growth and career development.
- Opportunity to work at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the world's foremost medical research center.
TASKS/SERVICES. The contractor shall:
- Conduct analyses on mass spectrometry based omic data; independently design the analytical approaches as well as identify and solve scientific or technical problems.
- Collaborate with proteomics group and support scientists to recommend the computational approaches for testing hypotheses, analyze and interpret proteomic/metabolomic data as well as prepare and present the results based on the scientific objectives.
- Conduct routine data analyses; develop customized analytical strategies for each project; deliver summary reports and visualization of results; assist with interpretation.
- Support proteomics group in developing custom pipelines for raw data acquisition, management and pre-processing; assist with troubleshooting for instrument run issues.
- Work independently with research groups to develop analytical pipeline for proteomics and/or metabolomics data analysis.
- Develop and maintain custom software and pipelines as well as evaluate and utilize commercial and open source software for proteomics analysis as required by research projects.
- Establish reproducible data analysis pipelines and standard operating procedures; provide detailed documentations for methodologies so they can be reproduced and applied to similar studies.
- Develop analytical approaches to integrate multiple omic data generated internally as well as use of publicly available datasets.
- Collaborate with staff on design and development of major proteomics-related programming projects; write custom scripts; develop novel analytic methodology.
- Write data analysis sections of manuscripts, prepare publication quality figures, and deposit data to external repositories that meet publication requirements.
- Provide ad hoc trainings and hands-on workshops on the use of computational proteomics tools, data analyses and interpretation; provide technical expertise for software and tools.
- Attend group meetings with scientists and diverse technology specialists; present findings to individuals and groups.
- Update job knowledge and remain current with emerging technologies, advances in biology, chemical biology, proteomics, and bioinformatics.
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must have:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Bioinformatics, or a related discipline.
- Minimum of three (3) years of related experience in mass spectrometry-based proteomics or metabolomics research environment, experience with providing user support in a core facility setting is desirable.
- Understanding of common proteomic assays and techniques. Familiar with proteomic instrumentation, especially with Mass Spectrometry and LC-MS/MS methodologies.
- Excellent knowledge and experience with mass spectrometry-based proteomics, metabolomics or lipidomics data analysis, open sources programs, commercial software and public data resources.
- Proficiency in working in a UNIX/LINUX environment, and with at least one UNIX based scripting languages (Perl, Python, etc,),
- Proficiency with statistical/mathematical software such as R/MATLAB or equivalent and associated bioinformatics libraries/packages,
- Experience in developing and implementing algorithms and pipelines for the processing proteomics, metabolomics or lipidomics data,
- Ability to write manuscripts for publication, and record of high-quality publications and oral presentations.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with an interdisciplinary team, including laboratory scientists, bioinformaticians, statisticians, and data analysts.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE.
Note that the phone number for our NIH branch is not listed. Due to the high volume of inquiries, we regret that we cannot accept phone calls. All qualified candidates will be contacted.
Looking to connect with premier government agencies or the top 25 federal government contractors? Kelly® Government offers a variety of full-time, project (SOW), seasonal, and surge support opportunities in science, engineering, technical, professional, and administrative support roles. Our experts will find you the opportunity that fits your schedule and interests and handle the details of transferring and processing all levels of security clearances. It’s just another way we make the job search work for you.
Kelly connects talented people to companies in need of their skills in areas including Science, Engineering, Education, Office, Contact Center, Light Industrial, and more. We’re always thinking about what’s next in the evolving world of work, and we help people ditch the script on old ways of thinking and embrace the value of all workstyles in the workplace. We directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world, and we connect thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners in our outsourcing and consulting practice.