Scientist - NIH - Cryo EM Expertise - Research Triangle Park, NC
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with one of the most prestigious research organizations in the world. We are currently seeking a Scientist to work onsite with the National Institutes of Health in Research Triangle Park, NC.
OVERVIEW. This is a long-term, open-ended contract position which offers:
- Competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package.
- Tremendous room for personal growth and career development.
- Opportunity to work at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the world's foremost medical research center.
TASKS/SERVICES. The contractor shall:
- Provide technical and experimental support in all aspects of the structure determination workflow using single particle analysis by transmission electron microscopy, including but not limited to: preparation of negatively stained and frozen hydrated specimens, loading of the microscope, imaging for the purpose of screening and/or automated data collection and image processing.
- Provide training in all portions of the above mentioned structure determination workflows to collaborators of the Cryo-EM Core, including the preparation of tutorials and protocols.
- Perform research in the optimization and development of said workflows.
- Provide lab managerial support, including but not limited to, ordering, inventory management; update and maintain budgetary information; maintain an orderly lab environment.
- Update and maintain laboratory notebooks and databases; collect, analyze and interpret data results and findings.
- Provide raw and “figure-ready” data and experimental designs.
- Meet with the Director and staff of the Cryo-EM Core on a regular basis to review experimental data.
- Collaborate with the Director's staff in writing and reviewing manuscripts, reviewing collaborative projects and writing protocols.
- Attend laboratory meetings; present results and findings to staff.
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must have:
- Ph.D. in Structural Biology or a related discipline. Three (3) years of specialized experience plus a Master's degree is equivalent to a Ph.D. Five (5) years of specialized experience plus a Bachelor's degree is equivalent to a Ph.D.
- Minimum of four (4) years of research in cryo-electron microscopy.
- Experience in cellular and structural biology.
- Experience in experimental methods related to structure determination using cryo-electron microscopy, including preparation of frozen hydrated specimens, operation of a cryo-capable electron microscope automated data collection and image processing.
- Laboratory managerial experience.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE.
Note that the phone number for our NIH branch is not listed. Due to the high volume of inquiries, we regret that we cannot accept phone calls. All qualified candidates will be contacted.
Looking to connect with premier government agencies or the top 25 federal government contractors? Kelly® Government offers a variety of full-time, project (SOW), seasonal, and surge support opportunities in science, engineering, technical, professional, and administrative support roles. Our experts will find you the opportunity that fits your schedule and interests and handle the details of transferring and processing all levels of security clearances. It’s just another way we make the job search work for you.
Kelly connects talented people to companies in need of their skills in areas including Science, Engineering, Education, Office, Contact Center, Light Industrial, and more. We’re always thinking about what’s next in the evolving world of work, and we help people ditch the script on old ways of thinking and embrace the value of all workstyles in the workplace. We directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world, and we connect thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners in our outsourcing and consulting practice.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.